Providing fire protection engineering technical expertise advising on designs and calculations pertaining to fire protection, including fire sprinkler, fire notification, and mass notification design.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Responsible for the preparation of detailed Building Code and Life Safety Code analyses and analysis of fire detection, mass notification and suppression systems.
· Prepares designs and plans using AutoCAD, Requests for Proposals (RFPs), specifications, and cost estimates, in support of in-house and Architect/Engineer bid-build and design-build projects, for a wide range of new or rehabilitated DoD facilities and infrastructure projects.
· Analyzes existing buildings and building egress systems to determine adequacy of egress and construction type for existing conditions and proposed changes to buildings and building occupancies.
· Investigates and recommends corrective measures for deficiencies in existing facilities. Typical design projects include multi-story offices and quarters, hangars, hospitals, towers, aircraft overhaul facilities, piers, training facilities and a very wide diversity of other new and existing structures and facilities.
· Analyzes the applicability of fire protection innovative processes, systems, equipment, or techniques and implement such on projects and specifications.
· Prepares correspondence, engineering studies, and technical reports regarding fire protection and Life Safety related topics.
· Applies knowledge of detection and suppression system components and how such components are correctly installed or incorrectly installed.
· Provides fire protection engineering technical expertise to the Government, advising on designs and calculations pertaining to fire protection, including fire sprinkler, fire notification, and mass notification design.
· Performs peer review of fire protection designs, including drawings, specifications, calculations, schedules, and invoices, assessing whether technical documents satisfy contractual requirements, meet the standards of all applicable codes and standards, and are comprehensive and constructible.
· Drafts written recommendations regarding acceptance or rejection of designs.
· Supports development of government's construction cost estimates, working with cost estimators to identify and quantify design requirements.
· Supports the Air Force in review and response to construction documentation, including submittals and RFI's.
· Perform Data Input/updating Sustainment Management System (SMS) data entry and management for required work to include, but not limited to, systems such as NexGen, Visible Asset Sustainment Tool (VAST), BUILDER SMS, PAVER SMS, and Tableau visualization software. Level of data entry and management effort anticipated should be weekly for NexGen and BUILDER SMS
· Reviews field activities to ensure they are being conducted according to Air Force, regulatory, and project-specific procedures and that performance meets requirements stipulated by the government contract and is technically defensible.
· Reviews and interprets the application of new statutory and regulatory requirements.
· Assists the Air Force in the development of DoD construction standards, criteria, and policies.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor's Degree in Fire Protection Engineering or related field is required
· Minimum of 8 years of Fire Protection System design including at least 1 year working on Capital Improvement projects for a Federal Agency.
· Current active Registered Professional Engineer license to practice Fire Protection Engineering is required.
· Advanced degrees can be substituted for experience.